October 26th, 2020
Dear HNP Families,
Thank you for your cooperation last week with the return of Holy Name's K-2nd grade classes. As you may have noticed, the big school has altered their initial plan of driving to the end of the school yard. Instead, the elementary school parents are looping around the second basketball hoop. The elementary school parents are driving through the school-yard beginning at 7:45 am and ending by 8:15 am each day.
Preschool parents, we will begin our day at 8:00 am as approved by the Dept. of Public Health/Licensing. There will be an area coned off by the Flanagan Center where you can walk your student into our front check-in station. If possible, the preschool staff would prefer if you brought your student in after 8:15 am to avoid all the cars and noise. Each classroom will begin their circle-time later now, probably by 8:30 am. Parking will be limited as the elementary school is offering a check-in station for parents walking their students in. PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN THE WHITE ZONE! Next week, Nov. 2nd, the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students will return. Thank you for your understanding! The entire Holy Name parish community is very excited that the elementary school families are returning!
- We plan to have a Halloween Parade/Cat Walk on Thursday. Oct. 29th @ 9:00 am. Unfortunately, parents cannot attend. Thank you to the Parent Committee for providing treat bags for the special day!
- Children may wear their Halloween costumes into the school on Thursday. Please bring a change of FREE DRESS so the students may change after the festivities.
- Please do not have your students bring in weapons as part of their costumes on Thursday.
- Please be sure your child's costume is safe for him/her to walk around in.
- Please be sure your child is able to wear her/his face shield with their Halloween costumes.
- Children have FREE DRESS on Friday!
- Thank you to the Parent Committee and parents for the two new beautiful bookcases and all the Halloween decorations! Your children love them!
- The preschool (& Elementary School) will close on Monday, Nov. 9th to honor Veterans Day. The preschool (& Elementary School) will be open on Weds. Nov. 11th.
- The preschool (& Elementary School) will be closed Weds. Nov. 25th-Nov. 27th for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- The preschool (& Elementary School) will be closed Dec. 21st-Jan. 4th for the Christmas holiday. We will resume school on Tues. Jan. 5th, 2021.
Have a spooktacular week!
Alice & the Staff
Alice Ho Seher, M.A.
Holy Name Preschool
Dear Current and Incoming Holy Name Preschool Families,
Thank you for your interest and support in enrolling your child/children in our preschool for the 2020-2021 school year! As some of you may know, the preschool abruptly closed on March 12th when Shelter-in-Place (SIP) was mandated. As the SIP prolonged through April and May, it was very clear to us that it was increasingly more difficult for our families to pay their full tuition fees. Collectively, Father Arnold, the Finance Board and I decided that it was more important to keep our Holy Name Community intact than have our families sadly leave us. We presented different payment options that best suited the families' needs. We were very pleased that a huge majority of families remained with us throughout the school year.
This decision, however, has had an adverse effect on the preschool's finances. We will not be able to provide a cost of living pay increase to our staff this year. In fact, when the preschool reopens, not only will the staff be teaching, they will also be cleaning and ensuring the students are practicing safe distancing protocols throughout the day. However, even with the added responsibilities, the staff is eager to return and resume teaching your children!
The Finance Board and I have discussed over the course of the last few weeks the various directions we will need to take if we open up our preschool. To guarantee that we maintain the correct protocols when addressing the safety concerns and guidelines implemented by the California Dept. of Public Health (CDPH), the California Dept. of Social Services (CDSS) and the California Dept. of Education (CDE), we will now be required to assign 2 staff for every 12 children, and we will not have the flexibility of rotating staff throughout the preschool. We will also be increasing our cleaning services. In order to maintain financial feasibility, we have decided to implement the following changes:
- Preschool hours will temporarily change to 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- A temporary $100 monthly surcharge per family to offset additional costs in cleaning, disinfecting, PPE, additional janitorial services and other expenses related to COVIS-19. We did not raise our tuition rates from last year. However, due to a generous donation we received from a friend of the preschool, we were able to lower the amount of the surcharge from what was previously planned by the Finance Board. I truly believe God is watching over all of us!
- A $500 Registration Fee per family to ensure a space for your child/children for the 2020-2021 school year. Before we determine if we can reopen, we will need your commitment on whether you will be sending your child/children to our preschool for the 2020-2021 school year. We will need a signed Student Registration and Contract form, along with a $500 Registration Fee for all families (one per family). At the end of the 2020-2021 school year, we will apply your registration fee to your June tuition subject to the restrictions detailed in the Registration Form.
- Our plan is to reopen our preschool in early August (Aug. 3rd). However, we cannot guarantee when we will open until enough families commit to sending their child/children to our preschool for the 2020-2021 school year. Please send in your signed Student Registration and Contract forms and $500 Registration fee by July 3rd. If we have not heard from you by then, we will assume you are not interested.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to direct them to me. Again, thank you for your patience and understanding. We would truly love to have all of your children in our preschool in the fall. We will have a safe, healthy and joyful environment for your children to learn in. In the meantime, have a wonderful and safe summer!
Alice Ho Seher
Alice Ho Seher, M.A.
Holy Name Preschool